Daisy Chains IW was founded in 2012 and is an Isle of Wight based children's charity. The charity was founded by a group of Island parents, who have children that have been affected by long term sickness or disability.
After years of Supporting their own children they strongly felt there was a need for something to be available on the Isle of Wight to help those parents who are unable to access the care ,equipment and therapies needed to help their children progress.
Over the years the main focus of the charity has become the travel needs for those needing to get to mainland hospitals for urgent and sometimes life changing treatment, it is little know that there is no funding for any family that needs to go to the mainland for care and treatment, unless on some very specific benefits.
We work closely with Red Funnel , Wightlink and Hovertravel to organise, book and pay for all travel so the family's dont have to worry about organising anything.
The charity has grown over the past 8 years and while Mandy and Kellie continue to run the office day to day there is now a strong team of trustees in place to over see the organisation.
The Charity's main aims are;
To help children with long term health problems, a life limiting condition or a Disability that are resident on the Isle of Wight by;
1. Providing an Emergency Travel Scheme for children/ parents who meet the criteria.
2. helping with the cost of General Travel For children/parents to enable them to access treatment, therapy or care.
3. purchase aids and equipment that will help children progress or be more comfortable that is not available on the NHS.
4. To Provide funding travel funding to parents of premature babies that have been transferred to the mainland for urgent care- this is now all IOW babies under 32 weeks gestation.
5. Provide parents of Premature babies transferred of the Island with NICU box containing all the things the baby needs for the first few days and also a few important bits for mum.
6. Provide an annual Christmas party for the family's we care for and also with the help of other companies provide treats and outings throughout the year.
7. Fund Therapies at various centre's in the UK, that would otherwise not be available.
8. To Provide 24 hour support to the families we work with and drop in sessions for them to chat over anything they need and also to meet other families in similar situations to themselves .
We are at present open to medically referred Emergency Travel Grants and self referred general travel grants, we will also consider applications for equipment dependant on funds available .